powered by Surfing Waves

Hebrews 8:11 Clarifying English Translations from AMG and Kenneth Wuest based on 2 Different Greek Words.


In Hebrews 8:11 there are two different words, both translated "Know"

Hebrews 8:11







fn asba an,ajn ppro art,ad
11 (CWSB) And they shall not teach every man his
an,ajn ppro art,nn pap aima
neighbor, and every man his brother, saying,
art nn an,ajn ft
Know the Lord: for all shall know
γινώσκω εἴδω
ginṓskō eídō.
ppro pre an,ajn/(ppro)/() ad an,ajn/(ppro)/()
me, from the least to the greatest



γινώσκω
[See Stg: <G1097>] ginóskō;  fut. gnósomai,  2d aor. égnōn,       perf. égnōka, fut. pass. gnōsthésonai,  aor. pass. egnósthēn,  perf. pass. égnōsmai.  To know, in a beginning or completed sense.

εἴδω
[See Stg: <G1492>] eídō.  To see. This verb is obsolete in the pres. act. for which horáō <G3708>, to  see with perception, is used. The tenses derived from the meaning of eídō form  two families, one of which has exclusively the meaning of to see, the other that  of to know. (II) To know, in the 2d perf. oída,  subjunctive eidó, in  the inf. eidénai, in  the part. eidós, in  the pluperf. édein,  in the fut. eidésō (Heb. 8:11).  Contrasted with oída,  ginóskō <G1097>,  to know experientially, frequently suggests the inception or progress in  knowledge, while oída  suggests fullness of knowledge. The contrast is shown in John 8:55: "Yet ye  have not known him [egnókate  {perf. act. indic. of ginóskō},  you never had the initial experience of knowing Him]; but I know Him [oída, I  intuitively know Him because I am God as the Father is God]: and if I should  say, I know Him not [ouk oída, that  I do not intuitively know Him], I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know Him  [oída, I  know Him intuitively], and keep His saying." This means that Jesus did the will  of His Father not through obedience only but in the identity that He had as God.  Jesus Christ here confesses that His knowledge of God was not acquired and  progressive, but it was intuitive and full because He and the Father were one  (John 10:30)  and the Father was in Him and He in the Father (John 14:10, 11). 

The contrast between oída and  ginóskō is  apparent in John 13:7, "Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do  thou knowest not now [ouk oídas,  i.e., you do not intuitively]; but thou shalt know hereafter [gnósē, the  fut. mid. indic. of ginóskō,  to experientially know]." Peter could not believe and perceive on his own that  Jesus who was omnipotent would allow Himself to be put to death by others, but  he would understand it all when he saw it taking place before his eyes. That one  must be attuned to God Himself in order to understand what God teaches is  demonstrated by Mark 4:13 where Jesus, speaking to His disciples after the first parable which He  realized they did not understand, said to them, "Know ye not [ouk oídate, you  do not understand intuitively] this parable? And how then will ye know [gnósesthe]  all parables [will know the meaning and teaching of each parable in your own  experience]?" In Matt. 7:23, to the  hypocrites who call upon the name of the Lord but who never come to  experientially know Him, the Lord said, "And then will I profess unto them, I  never knew you [égnōn {the  2d aor. indic. act. of ginóskō},  there was never a time that I acknowledged a relationship between you and Me]."  On the other hand in Matt. 25:12, the  Lord in speaking to the imprudent five virgins in the parable said, "Verily I  say unto you, I know you not, you are not related to me." 


Hebrews 8:7–13
For if that first testament had been faultless, in that case there would not have been a constant searching out of a place for a second. For, finding fault with them He says, Behold, days come, says the Lord, and I will consummate with the house of Israel and the house of Judah a testament new in quality, not according to the testament which I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, because they themselves did not continue true to my testament, and I disregarded them, says the Lord. Because this is the testament which I will arrange with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord, giving my laws into their mind, also upon their hearts I will write them. And I will be to them God, and they themselves will be to me a people. And in no wise shall each one teach his fellow citizen and each one his brother, saying, Come to know the Lord in an experiential way, because all shall know me in an absolute way, from the least to the greatest of them, because I will be merciful in the case of their unrighteousnesses, and their sins I will in no wise remember anymore.


Once you read the passage in Wuest, you get a heads up that Know is translated one way for one Greek word for Know and another way for another Greek word for know. After I researched that, this post took shape. This concludes the blog post

Appendix / Bibliography

[1] Zodhiates, Spiros, ed. – The Complete Word Study New Testament Chattanooga, 
TN: AMG, 1991. WORDsearch CROSS e-book.

[2] Complete Word Study Dictionary, The - The Complete Word Study Dictionary – New Testament.

[3] Wuest, Kenneth S., trans. The New Testament: An Expanded Translation Grand Rapids, MI: Wlliam B. Eerdmans, 1961. Reprint, Grand Rapids, MI: Wlliam B. Eerdmans, 2002. WORDsearch CROSS e-book. 


Brought to you by https://yachtsman220.blogspot.com/ 
a fan of https://www.sunvalleycc.com/
20271 E Rittenhouse Rd, Queen Creek, AZ 85142, USA
 Celebrate Recovery Monday nights in Tempe, 
Thursday nights in Gilbert, 
Friday nights in Queen Creek 
https://www.sunvalleycc.com/celebrate-recovery/ 
https://www.sunvalleycc.com/locations/

No comments: